Our initial meeting is really an "ice-breaker".
It is not an elaborate meeting where we spend hours gathering data and digging into the details. This meeting is for you. It is an opportunity to see if we have a good fit.
If you choose to work with an experienced, independent, fee-only CFP®, you'll be working with one of the best and most trusted advisors in the industry. When comparing advisors at this level, your decision will probably be based on fees, personality, and style. And that's what the first meeting should be about - getting to know each other.
If you decide to work with us, we will have a Commencement Meeting to start the process. You will need to bring in some requested documents, our service agreement, and a check for ½ of the fee. We will review your current concerns, define your future financial goals and gather some additional data. This meeting usually takes about 30-60 minutes.
Our Planning Meeting is an interactive meeting that lasts about 2-2.5 hours. It is usually scheduled a few weeks after commencement. This meeting consists of:
- An analysis of your current situation and the probability of meeting your financial goals
- Reviewing several “what-if” scenarios and their impact on your plan
- Determining the most appropriate strategy (one that has a high probability of success and that you are comfortable implementing)
- An in-depth discussion of investment markets and the best approach for your situation
- An analysis of the rest of your financial areas (insurance, estate planning, etc.)
The Recommendations Meeting is where we present our Recommended Action Checklist. This checklist provides specific recommendations and details about what you need to do and when. At this meeting, we will also give you back your documents, collect the balance of our fee, and estimate a follow-up time. This meeting usually takes an hour and is scheduled about a week after the Planning Meeting.
Follow-Up Meetings may be scheduled a few months out to review progress. These are conducted by phone and take about 15-30 minutes. Plan updates are typically completed annually and charged at an hourly rate.
> NEXT PAGE: Investment Management