Philanthropic contributions, whether time or money, play an important part in the wellbeing and vitality of our communities. We support non-profit organizations because we feel they are a better agent of change versus relying on government bureaucracy. Non-profits are more nimble and efficient. They understand the community better and can work more effectively to address pressing issues.
Besides the social issues, there are a number of reasons why you might engage in philanthropy.
- Giving Back – When you feel supportive of an issue or event, it feels good to get involved and give back to the community.
- Leadership – Lead by example. Your can increase your visibility and respect within the community by being a leader of positive change.
- Family Values – Pass on important lessons and family values to your children and grandchildren by teaching them about philanthropy.
- Legacy – A legacy is an opportunity for you to define how people will remember you. If education is important, you may establish a simple, ongoing college scholarship or you may gift a large portfolio so the local school can build a new library.
- Taxes – Uncle Sam also realizes the importance of non-profits by allowing generous tax incentives.
If you are interested in giving your time and services to a non-profit organization, please contact Volunteer San Diego to learn more about the available opportunities at more than 800 non-profit agencies.
If you are interested in giving financial support, learning more about the tax issues, or discussing your legacy plan, we encourage you to contact us.
Charitable giving is a very personal decision. Depending on your circumstances and legacy desires, we can help you develop a plan and choose the most appropriate strategies to accomplish your goals. We work with your attorney and tax advisor throughout the process. We also have relationships with some of the premier providers of low-cost and easy-to-use private foundations and donor-advised funds.