The Blue Water Team
Blue Water Capital Management, LLC was founded in 2003 and built around a vision of acting in clients' best interests, constantly pursuing 'best practices', and providing exceptional service at a reasonable cost. We proudly serve San Diego and the Greater Southern California region.
Joan M. O'Connell, CFP®, MsBA
Joan O’Connell is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional at Blue Water Capital Management, LLC, and provides financial planning and investment advisory services to individual and business clients.
Prior to joining Blue Water Capital Management, LLC, Joan worked in several capacities for financial services and technology firms. As Vice-President, Retirement Plan Consultant for Nicholas Applegate Capital Management and Vice-President, Regional Retirement Plan Manager for Seligman Financial Services, Joan was responsible for helping plan sponsors select and implement defined contribution plans and investment options. Joan has also acted as a consultant to several technology firms, providing technical communication services and project management for their products or services.
Ms. O’Connell is a member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA).
Joan holds a M.S. degree in Business Administration from San Diego State University and a B.S. degree in Finance from Indiana University. Joan lives in San Diego and enjoys outdoor activities including running and cycling.
Terrance A. Green, CFP®, MsBA
Terrance Green is the Managing Director of Blue Water Capital Management, LLC and a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional. His experience dates back to the mid-90’s as his career began with McDonald Investments working in the areas of portfolio administration, fixed-income trading, and financial planning. In 2000, Terrance became 'enlightened' and left the Wall Street world to begin working as an independent financial advisor. In 2003, he switched to the fee-only model to better serve his clients.
Terrance periodically contributes to Suburban Living magazine, both the Apex and Holly Springs editions. He has also been a periodic columnist for several San Diego papers and has also appeared in the San Diego Union Tribune, Money, Kiplinger’s, and Investment News. He was also selected by UCSD to lead monthly discussions for their Retirement Association's Investment Interest Group.
Terrance and his family enjoy a variety of outdoor activities together including camping, kayaking, biking, and trips to the mountains and beach. He is also actively involved in scouts and community sporting leagues.
- Bachelors of Business Administration in Finance and Management Information Systems, Ohio University, 1995
- Master’s of Science in Entrepreneurship, San Diego State University, 2009
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional (CFP), 2002
- Trading assistant and financial planner at brokerage firm McDonald Investments, 1996-2000
- Independent financial advisor at the fee-based firm Financial Designs, 2000-2003
- Independent financial advisor at the fee-only firm Capital Financial Advisors, 2003-2005
- Managing Director and financial advisor, Blue Water Capital Management, LLC, 2003 – Present
- Past member of Board of Directors for Volunteer San Diego, a non-profit organization
- Member of Chamber of Commerce